I recently moved to Virginia and I am so excited because I live 30 minutes away from Virginia Beach. I thought it would be helpful to share the items that I keep in my beach/pool bag because I think a lot of times, we forget some of the most basic things, or at least I do. Enjoy!
1. Sunscreen: This is a MUST. I like to carry on two types of sunscreen: one for my face and one for the rest of my body. For my face, I like a higher SPF and one that is good for sensitive skin because my face is super sensitive. I also prefer a cream for my face rather than a spray or mist. For my body, I prefer a spray or mist because it is a lot easier to apply repeatedly (I reapply every hour). I also make sure that it is waterproof so if I get in the water right afterwards, it will stay on my skin.
2. Towels: Even if you’re not getting in the water, these are much more comfortable to lay on than a plastic chair or the hot, sticky sand. I always carry more than one as well so if a friend is in need or if I want to use one to dry off with and one to lay on.
3. Lip Balm: A lot of times we miss our lips and they end up getting dry and cracked or sunburned. I like to bring my Burt’s Bees lip balm or any lip balm that has SPF and is thick so it doesn’t slide off after a few minutes. I also apply sunscreen on my lips as well before lip balm. There is nothing worse than having dry, cracked, peeling lips 😦
4. Book or magazine: When I go lay by the pool or out at the beach, I love to read. Even if it’s not the “best” reading, I like to have something I can delve into to help me relax. I either bring a really good, interesting, fast-paced book (i.e. the Third Reich would not be a good idea) or a juicy magazine like Cosmo or Women’s Health.
5. Water bottle: Staying hydrated is crucial when you are out in the sun and you are sweating a lot. I always bring my tumbler that I can refill at the water fountain. Not only is water going to keep you from passing out, it is also really good for keeping your skin hydrated and looking its best.
6. Music: Whether it’s the screaming maniacs or the unbearable quiet, bringing some headphones along to help you relax is a great idea. You can listen to reggae and pretend you are far away on some exotic beach somewhere in the Caribbean 🙂
7. Extra change of clothes: Just in case you decide to make plans with friends afterwards, bring a sundress or some shorts and a loose tank as well as undergarments (so your bathing suit doesn’t soak through). A light, easy change of clothes can be the difference between, “I would love to grab some dinner down the street” and “I would love to, but I can’t” after that super gorgeous guy you spotted comes over to ask you out 🙂
8. Snacks: Keep a few granola bars, trail mix, cereal, and anything that is small and easy to munch on. When you are sitting out in the sun for hours, the heat can really take a toll on your energy and salt in-take.
9. Sunglasses: Your eyes need protection too so grab a pair of cool aviators or some super glammed up cat-eye shades and protect your vision!
10. Cash: It’s always good to keep a wad of cash with you when you are at the pool or the beach because you never know what could happen. Maybe there is a vending machine by the pool or the beach-side bar only takes cash during happy hour. You never know. You might need it to make a call at a local payphone during an emergency. It’s always good to have some kind of cash, especially if you are by yourself.